This section includes details of seminars, conferences and other events where the research team has presented the SOGICA project. It will be updated over the course of the project, so please check back regularly. You can receive regular updates about all our events through the SOGICA Newsletter: please, subscribe now!
- N.Held, ‘Here, I have no choice’: being a lesbian and a refugee – Intersectional experiences of time and space, presentation at the Lesbian Lives 2019 conference, Brighton, 16 March 2019.
- N.Held, The situation of LGBTQI+ refugees in Europe (SOGICA prelimanary findings), presentation at Festival des migrations, des cultures et de la Citoyenneté, Sexualities in Exile (invited by CIGALE), Luxembourg, 2 March 2019.
- N. Ferreira, Asylum, sexuality and gender identity: some preliminary findings of the SOGICA project (keynote speaker) and participant in roundtable on ‘Ethics of gender and migration research within institutional academia and beyond: perspectives from 4 ERC-funded projects’, in workshop Intimate (In)Justice: Gender and Sexuality in the Politics of Borders at Ca’ Foscari University, Venice, Italy, 11-12 February 2019.
- M. Dustin, SOGICA project presentation at PROTECT (preventing sexual and gender-based violence against migrants and strengthening support to victims) kick-off meeting, International Organization for Migration (IOM), Budapest, 15 January 2019.
- C. Danisi, What ‘Safe Harbours’ are There for People Seeking International Protection on Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity Grounds in the Context of the Mediterranean Crisis?, Universita’ di Napoli – L’Orientale, 19 December 2018.
- N. Ferreira, Human Rights of the Most Vulnerable: Children, LGBTI and the Right to Asylum in Europe, Leuven Centre for Global Governance Studies, KU Leuven, Belgium, 12 December 2018.
- N. Ferreira, Queering asylum across Europe: Some preliminary comparative findings, Sussex Centre for Migration research (SCMR) research seminar, University of Sussex, UK, 17 October 2018.
- N. Ferreira, An exercise in detachment: The Strasbourg Court and sexual minority refugees, at the 10th European Feminist Research Conference, Goettingen, Germany, 14 September 2018.
- N. Held, ‘They sent me to the mountain’: LGBTQI* refugees’ intersectional experience of ‘integration’ in Germany, at the 10th European Feminist Research Conference, Goettingen, Germany, 13 September 2018.
- N. Ferreira, Queering asylum across Europe: The legal and social experiences of sexual orientation and gender identity (SOGI) asylum seekers, at the ‘LGTB asylum seekers and refugees in Spain’ project meeting, ACCEM, Madrid, Spain, 7 September 2018.
- N. Held, Migration On The Continent: LGBTI Refugees & Multiple Discrimination Panel, at EuroPride Human Rights Conference, Stockholm, Sweden, 3 August 2018.
- N. Ferreira, C. Danisi and M. Dustin, Panel Queering asylum across Europe: The legal and social experiences of sexual orientation and gender identity (SOGI) asylum seekers, 2018 International Association for the Study of Forced Migration (IASFM) Conference, Thessaloniki, Greece, 26 July 2018.
- C. Danisi, Le richieste di asilo SOGI in Italia alla luce del sistema europeo di tutela, at La promozione dei diritti umani a livello locale e regionale, conference organised in the context of the FIDEM festival, Palazzo dell’Assemblea Regionale dell’Umbria, Perugia, 30 June 2018.
- N. Ferreira, SOGICA – Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity Claims of Asylum: A European human rights challenge, at seminar Orgoglio e pregiudizio? Essere migranti LGBTIQ+, organised by Anziani e non solo, in collaboration with MigraBo LGBTI, Cassero LGBT Center, Bologna, 15 June 2018.
- C. Danisi, Crossing Borders: Sexual Orientation, Asylum and Human Rights, at Gender, Borders and Human Rights, Experts Seminar, University of Ghent, Human Rights Centre, Ghent, 28 May 2018.
- C. Danisi, I richiedenti e i rifugiati SOGI come gruppo vulnerabile? Spunti di riflessione alla luce del sistema europeo di tutela, at La protezione internazionale basata sull’orientamento sessuale e l’identita’ di genere, organised by ASGI – Associazione Studi Giuridici sull’Immigrazione, Verona, 25 May 2018.
- N. Ferreira, The European Dimension of SOGI Asylum Claims and the CEAS Reform, at the conference Vulnerability and Asylum: Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity Claims Conference, University of Bologna (Forlì campus), 18 May 2018.
- N. Held, SOGI claims in Germany: intersectional social and legal challenges, at the conference Vulnerability and Asylum: Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity Claims Conference, University of Bologna (Forlì campus), 18 May 2018.
- The SOGICA team and the Department of Political and Social Science of the University of Bologna, organised the Conference Vulnerability and Asylum: Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity Claims, held on 18 May 2018 at the Forlì campus of the University of Bologna, Italy.
- N. Ferreira, Sexual and gender minorities in asylum seeking, workshop at event ‘Queory: Gender, Sexuality, and the Hostile Environment’, University of Sussex, UK, 12 May 2018.
- C. Danisi, The Prohibition of Discrimination on the grounds of Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity and the ECHR – The SOGICA Project, at Migro perchè sono: Problematiche e storie dell’immigrazione LGBT, University of Bologna, Bologna, 9 April 2018.
- M. Dustin, Neoliberal agendas and asylum for women and sexual minorities, work in progress presented at the International Studies Association Conference, April 2018, San Francisco.
- M. Dustin, Global Perspectives Panel, at Rainbow Pilgrims Symposium: LGBTQI Migrant and Travelling Communities Perspectives, Buckinghamshire New University, 14 February 2018.
Pictures from the Conference in Forli’
- N. Ferreira, EU queer asylum policy: In search of a fairer system, at Queer migration, diaspora and asylum in Europe conference’, UCL, London, 9 December 2017.
- M. Dustin and N. Held, Square pegs in round holes? Exploring the misfit between the Refugee Convention and LGBTQI claims in Germany and the UK, at Queer migration, diaspora and asylum in Europe conference, UCL, London, 9 December 2017.
- M. Dustin, Proving the unprovable? Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity Claims of Asylum, at a seminar about LGBTQI asylum, University of Roehampton, 20 November 2017.
- N. Ferreira, Seeking asylum in Europe: Delving into sexual orientation and gender identity asylum claims, at the UACES 47th Annual Conference, Jagiellonian University, Krakow, Poland, 4 September 2017.
- N.Held, Lesbian asylum seekers’ intersectional experience of violence in the UK, presented at Reconsidering gender-based violence in the context of displacement and migration, Summer Symposium, Centre for Gender Studies, University of Göttingen, Germany (invited speaker), 6 July 2017.
- N. Ferreira, M. Dustin, N. Held, C. Danisi, Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity Asylum Claims: A European and Comparative View, Panel at the 2nd Annual Conference Refugee Law Initiative, School of Advanced Study – University of London, 5-7 June 2017.
- N. Ferreira, Seeking asylum in Europe: Delving into sexual orientation and gender identity asylum claims, presented at Nordic Asylum Law Seminar, University of Iceland, 29-30 May 2017.
- C. Danisi, Personal characteristics v objective situations in the application of the ECHR to asylum seekers: Towards a coherent interpretation of the European human rights system?, presented at Nordic Asylum Law Seminar, University of Iceland, 29-30 May 2017.
- M. Dustin, N. Held, Proving the unprovable: the social-legal experiences of SOGI asylum seekers in the UK and Germany: a comparative, interdisciplinary and intersectional approach, presented at workshop Queer migration, diaspora and asylum in Europe, University College London, 16 May 2017.
- N. Held, What does a genuine lesbian/gay relationship look like in the eyes of asylum decision makers?, presented at the launch of the Special Issue of Discover Society ‘Families and Relationships across Crises’, Amnesty International UK, London, 12 May 2017.
- C. Danisi, Tra Tortura e Discriminazione: L’Omosessualità nel XXI secolo, University of Bologna – School of Law, 28 April 2017.
- N. Ferreira, M. Dustin, N. Held, C. Danisi, Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity Claims of Asylum, panel at the University of Oxford Refugee Studies Centre Conference 2017 ‘Beyond crisis: Rethinking Refugee Studies’, 16-17 March 2017 – listen to the podcast on https://soundcloud.com/refugeestudiescentre/rsc-conference-2017-session-v-room-6-sexual-orientation-and-gender-identity-claims-of-asylum?in=refugeestudiescentre/sets/rsc-conference-2017-beyond-crisis
- N. Ferreira, M. Dustin, N. Held, C. Danisi, Asylum and Sexual / Gender Minorities, workshops at the conference ‘A world on the move – The story of a refugee’, University of Sussex, 4 February 2017.
- N. Ferreira, M. Dustin, N. Held, C. Danisi, Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity Claims of Asylum, presented at the University of Sussex, 25 January 2017, as part of the Year of Migration’s initiatives.
- N. Held, Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity Claims of Asylum: A European human rights challenge – SOGICA, presented at the Conference Refugees and Queers, 26 November 2016 in Dresden – Deutsches Hygiene Museum.
- N. Ferreira, Researching refugees and asylum in the current European crisis, workshop ‘Crisis and Innovation in the European Union: Beyond Populism and Managerialism‘, University of Warwick, UK (invited speaker), 13 May 2016.
- N. Ferreira, Delivery of session on SOGI asylum seekers within framework of Student Action For Refugees (STAR) Liverpool Academic Lectures on Refugees, Asylum seekers and Migrants (invited speaker), 16 March 2016.