This section includes details of seminars, conferences and other events where the research team has presented the SOGICA project. It will be updated over the course of the project, so please check back regularly.
- C. Danisi, I richiedenti e i rifugiati SOGI come gruppo vulnerabile? Spunti di riflessione alla luce del sistema europeo di tutela, at La protezione internazionale basata sull’orientamento sessuale e l’identita’ di genere, Verona, 25 May 2018.
- C. Danisi, in cooperation with the SOGICA team and the Department of Political and Social Science of the University of Bologna, has organised the Conference ‘Vulnerability and Asylum: Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity Claims‘, held on 18 May 2018 at the Forli campus of the University of Bologna, Italy. More information are available here.
- C. Danisi, The Prohibition of Discrimination on the grounds of Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity and the ECHR – The SOGICA Project, at the Seminar ‘Migro perchè sono: Problematiche e storie dell’immigrazione LGBT’, University of Bologna, 9 April 2018.
- M. Dustin, Global Perspectives Panel, at Rainbow Pilgrims Symposium: LGBTQI Migrant and Travelling Communities Perspectives, Buckinghamshire New University, 14 February 2018.
- N. Ferreira, EU queer asylum policy: In search of a fairer system, at Queer migration, diaspora and asylum in Europe conference’, UCL, London, 9 December 2017.
- M. Dustin and N. Held, Square pegs in round holes? Exploring the misfit between the Refugee Convention and LGBTQI claims in Germany and the UK, at Queer migration, diaspora and asylum in Europe conference, UCL, London, 9 December 2017.
- M. Dustin, Proving the unprovable? Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity Claims of Asylum, at a seminar about LGBTQI asylum, University of Roehampton, 20 November 2017.
- N. Ferreira, Seeking asylum in Europe: Delving into sexual orientation and gender identity asylum claims, at the UACES 47th Annual Conference, Jagiellonian University, Krakow, Poland, 4 September 2017.
- N.Held, Lesbian asylum seekers’ intersectional experience of violence in the UK, presented at Reconsidering gender-based violence in the context of displacement and migration, Summer Symposium, Centre for Gender Studies, University of Göttingen, Germany (invited speaker), 6 July 2017.
- N. Ferreira, M. Dustin, N. Held, C. Danisi, Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity Asylum Claims: A European and Comparative View, Panel at the 2nd Annual Conference Refugee Law Initiative, School of Advanced Study – University of London, 5-7 June 2017.
- N. Ferreira, Seeking asylum in Europe: Delving into sexual orientation and gender identity asylum claims, presented at Nordic Law Seminar, University of Iceland, 29-30 May 2017.
- C. Danisi, Personal characteristics v objective situations in the application of the ECHR to asylum seekers: Towards a coherent interpretation of the European human rights system?, presented at Nordic Law Seminar, University of Iceland, 29-30 May 2017.
- M. Dustin, N. Held, Proving the unprovable: the social-legal experiences of SOGI asylum seekers in the UK and Germany: a comparative, interdisciplinary and intersectional approach, presented at workshop Queer migration, diaspora and asylum in Europe, University College London, 16 May 2017.
- N. Held, What does a genuine lesbian/gay relationship look like in the eyes of asylum decision makers?,
presented at the launch of the Special Issue of Discover Society ‘Families and Relationships across Crises’, Amnesty International UK, London, 12 May 2017.
- C. Danisi, Tra Tortura e Discriminazione: L’Omosessualità nel XXI secolo, University of Bologna – School of Law, 28 April 2017.
- N. Ferreira, M. Dustin, N. Held, C. Danisi, Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity Claims of Asylum, panel at the University of Oxford Refugee Studies Centre Conference 2017 ‘Beyond crisis: Rethinking Refugee Studies’, 16-17 March 2017 – listen to the podcast on https://soundcloud.com/refugeestudiescentre/rsc-conference-2017-session-v-room-6-sexual-orientation-and-gender-identity-claims-of-asylum?in=refugeestudiescentre/sets/rsc-conference-2017-beyond-crisis
- N. Ferreira, M. Dustin, N. Held, C. Danisi, Asylum and Sexual / Gender Minorities, workshops at the conference ‘A world on the move – The story of a refugee’, University of Sussex, 4 February 2017.
- N. Ferreira, M. Dustin, N. Held, C. Danisi, Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity Claims of Asylum, presented at the University of Sussex, 25 January 2017, as part of the Year of Migration’s initiatives.
- N. Held, Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity Claims of Asylum: A European human rights challenge – SOGICA, presented at the Conference Refugees and Queers, 26 November 2016 in Dresden – Deutsches Hygiene Museum.
- N. Ferreira, Researching refugees and asylum in the current European crisis, workshop ‘Crisis and Innovation in the European Union: Beyond Populism and Managerialism‘, University of Warwick, UK (invited speaker), 13 May 2016.
- N. Ferreira, Delivery of session on SOGI asylum seekers within framework of Student Action For Refugees (STAR) Liverpool Academic Lectures on Refugees, Asylum seekers and Migrants (invited speaker), 16 March 2016.