This section includes details of seminars, conferences and other events where the research team has presented the SOGICA project. It will be updated over the course of the project, so please check back regularly.
- N. Ferreira, Seeking asylum in Europe: Delving into sexual orientation and gender identity asylum claims, at the UACES 47th Annual Conference, Jagiellonian University, Krakow, Poland, 4 September 2017.
- N.Held, Lesbian asylum seekers’ intersectional experience of violence in the UK, presented at Reconsidering gender-based violence in the context of displacement and migration, Summer Symposium, Centre for Gender Studies, University of Göttingen, Germany (invited speaker), 6 July 2017.
- N. Ferreira, M. Dustin, N. Held, C. Danisi, Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity Asylum Claims: A European and Comparative View, Panel at the 2nd Annual Conference Refugee Law Initiative, School of Advanced Study – University of London, 5-7 June 2017.
- N. Ferreira, Seeking asylum in Europe: Delving into sexual orientation and gender identity asylum claims, presented at Nordic Law Seminar, University of Iceland, 29-30 May 2017.
- C. Danisi, Personal characteristics v objective situations in the application of the ECHR to asylum seekers: Towards a coherent interpretation of the European human rights system?, presented at Nordic Law Seminar, University of Iceland, 29-30 May 2017.
- M. Dustin, N. Held, Proving the unprovable: the social-legal experiences of SOGI asylum seekers in the UK and Germany: a comparative, interdisciplinary and intersectional approach, presented at workshop Queer migration, diaspora and asylum in Europe, University College London, 16 May 2017.
- N. Held, What does a genuine lesbian/gay relationship look like in the eyes of asylum decision makers?,
presented at the launch of the Special Issue of Discover Society ‘Families and Relationships across Crises’, Amnesty International UK, London, 12 May 2017.
- C. Danisi, Tra Tortura e Discriminazione: L’Omosessualità nel XXI secolo, University of Bologna – School of Law, 28 April 2017.
- N. Ferreira, M. Dustin, N. Held, C. Danisi, Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity Claims of Asylum, panel at the University of Oxford Refugee Studies Centre Conference 2017 ‘Beyond crisis: Rethinking Refugee Studies’, 16-17 March 2017 – listen to the podcast on https://soundcloud.com/refugeestudiescentre/rsc-conference-2017-session-v-room-6-sexual-orientation-and-gender-identity-claims-of-asylum?in=refugeestudiescentre/sets/rsc-conference-2017-beyond-crisis
- N. Ferreira, M. Dustin, N. Held, C. Danisi, Asylum and Sexual / Gender Minorities, workshops at the conference ‘A world on the move – The story of a refugee’, University of Sussex, 4 February 2017.
- N. Ferreira, M. Dustin, N. Held, C. Danisi, Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity Claims of Asylum, presented at the University of Sussex, 25 January 2017, as part of the Year of Migration’s initiatives.
- N. Held, Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity Claims of Asylum: A European human rights challenge – SOGICA, presented at the Conference Refugees and Queers, 26 November 2016 in Dresden – Deutsches Hygiene Museum.
- N. Ferreira, Researching refugees and asylum in the current European crisis, workshop ‘Crisis and Innovation in the European Union: Beyond Populism and Managerialism‘, University of Warwick, UK (invited speaker), 13 May 2016.
- N. Ferreira, Delivery of session on SOGI asylum seekers within framework of Student Action For Refugees (STAR) Liverpool Academic Lectures on Refugees, Asylum seekers and Migrants (invited speaker), 16 March 2016.